In the event you’re on the lookout for the proper vacation cookie to your subsequent occasion or cookie change, then you should make these Peppermint Frosted Sugar Cookies. These pillowy mushy sugar cookies, like those you discover within the grocery retailer, are frosted with a touch of peppermint and topped with crushed sweet canes, giving it that particular vacation taste.
What’s it in regards to the Christmas time of 12 months that simply makes me wish to put peppermint in every part? From Peppermint White Chocolate Espresso Creamer to Peppermint Blossom Cookies, I can’t appear to get sufficient of that cool minty taste in November and December.
Don’t wish to bake cookies? Then these no bake Peppermint Dream Bars have your identify on them. This vacation lush recipe goes to be a spotlight in your dessert desk for certain!
Mushy Peppermint Sugar Cookies take two traditional vacation treats–sweet canes and frosted cookies–and put them collectively in a single tasty indulgence.
This recipe was Day 1 of 2013’s 12 Days of Cookies! This can be a enjoyable custom I do virtually each vacation season on the weblog, and I’m so excited to share all my favourite cookie recipes with you!
Yow will discover previous lots of our vacation cookie recipes from years handed right here!
The Good Sugar Cookie
Everybody loves a frosted sugar cookie, particularly across the holidays. What I personally DON’T love is a frosted sugar cookie that will get laborious simply hours after it’s taken out of the oven. This frosted sugar cookie recipe has by no means as soon as didn’t make the proper cookie that stays mushy even days later. Greek yogurt within the dough helps give them a mushy and tender texture.
Including peppermint extract to the frosting turned these cookies right into a deal with that tastes similar to Christmas ought to. I like to embellish mine with crushed sweet canes, however they’re scrumptious simply as is.
Elements for Peppermint Frosted Sugar Cookies
You want only a handful of easy components for this traditional sugar cookie dough:
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 giant eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups plain Greek yogurt – can substitute bitter cream
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
Elements for Peppermint Frosting
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Meals coloring, if desired
- Coloured sprinkles and/or crushed sweet cane items for adornment
The best way to make Sugar Cookies with Peppermint Frosting
This sugar cookie dough requires you to refrigerate it for at the least 2 hours, however ideally in a single day. I wish to make the dough the day earlier than I wish to bake the cookies.
- First, cream butter and sugar within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. It’s also possible to use a big bowl and electrical mixer. Combine on medium pace for about 4 minutes till the butter combination is mild and creamy.
- Add eggs one by one, incorporating each fully. Add vanilla and yogurt, then combine nicely.
- In a separate giant bowl, whisk collectively flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Step by step add the dry components to the moist components with the mixer on low pace. The dough can be sticky, however that’s okay!
- Divide the dough in half onto separate sheets of plastic wrap. Kind every half right into a rectangle about 1 ½ inches thick. Cowl fully in plastic wrap, then refrigerate in a single day.
- If you’re able to bake, warmth oven to 425 levels F. Put together a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper. You may put together two sheets forward of time if you would like.
- Flour your work floor and rolling pin, then take away one dough rectangle from the fridge, unwrap it, and roll it out to about ¼ inch thickness.
- Use a 2.5-inch cookie cutter to chop the dough into circles. Place every cookie on the cookie sheet about 1 inch aside.
- Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes or till simply barely golden. Take away the cookies from the sheets instantly and switch them to a wire rack to chill fully.
Then you definitely’ll do it another time with the second rectangle of dough.
Ideas for Rolling Cookie Dough
- Don’t skip the refrigeration course of. You want chilly, considerably stiff dough for these peppermint cookies.
- Keep away from over-flouring by laying out a big sheet of plastic wrap over the dough earlier than you roll it out. Then roll on high of the plastic wrap till the dough is ¼ inch thick. Take away the wrap and lower as directed. Much less mess this fashion!
- I’ve additionally rolled dough immediately onto a Silpat, lower out the cookies an inch aside, after which eliminated the surplus. Then you possibly can simply decide up the SilPat and put it on the baking sheet.
The best way to make Peppermint Frosting
As soon as the cookies have fully cooled, it’s time so as to add the frosting!
- Within the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, and peppermint extract till mild and fluffy.
- Add confectioners’ sugar and salt with the mixer on low pace. Combine till easy and creamy, although it is going to be considerably dry at this level.
- Add the cream one tablespoon at a time, incorporating every fully. As soon as it’s all blended in or has reached the consistency you need (chances are you’ll not want all of the heavy cream), beat on medium-high pace for about two minutes to make all of it mild and ethereal.
- Add meals coloring if desired and blend till totally mixed, scraping the edges of the bowl if vital.
Frost the cookies and high with sprinkles or peppermint sweet.
The best way to retailer Peppermint Frosted Sugar Cookies
Enable the frosting to set earlier than storing them in an hermetic container with layers separated by wax paper. Maintain them at room temperature for 3-5 days, or for longer storage, put them within the freezer. They’ll freeze for as much as 1 month.
Are you able to make peppermint sugar cookies forward of time?
Sure, you may also bake these cookies forward of time, retailer them within the freezer, after which make a batch of frosting once you’re able to serve them.
Extra Christmas cookie recipes
In the event you like this cookie chances are you’ll take pleasure in another favorites from the weblog:
~ FOLLOW ME ~
~ FACEBOOK ~ PINTEREST ~
~ INSTAGRAM ~ TWITTER ~
~ YOUTUBE ~
Maintain an eye fixed out for extra of my simple recipes every week!
Again within the day, I used to charge every part I made on a scale of 1-4 with 4 being the most effective and these Peppermint Frosted Sugar Cookies earned 3 rolling pins. I admit that I personally want them with out the peppermint within the frosting, utilizing simply the vanilla extract.
Mr. 365 mentioned and I quote (with a turned up nostril, resembling Mr. Scrooge), “I don’t want sweet canes on my cookies.”
Peppermint Frosted Sugar Cookies
Peppermint Frosted Sugar Cookies to your subsequent cookie change! Pillowy mushy sugar cookies frosted with a touch of peppermint, topped with crushed sweet canes, for some additional particular vacation taste.
Stop your display screen from going darkish
In an electrical mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar till mild and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
Add eggs, one by one, fully incorporating every. Combine in vanilla and yogurt.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Step by step add the flour combination to the moist components with the mixer on low pace. The dough can be sticky, however that’s okay.
Divide the dough in half onto separate sheets of plastic wrap. Kind every half right into a rectangle about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cowl in plastic wrap and refrigerate in a single day.
When able to bake, preheat oven to 425 levels F. Put together two cookie sheets by lining them with parchment paper or Silpat.
Sufficiently flour your work floor and take away one of many dough halves from the fridge. Flour the highest of the dough, additionally, and rolling pin if vital.
Roll the dough out in order that it’s about 1/4-inch thick.
Utilizing a 2 1/2-inch spherical cookie cutter, lower the dough into circles and place on cookie sheets about 1 inch aside.
Bake for 7-9 minutes till simply barely golden. Take away cookies from sheets instantly and switch to a wire rack to chill fully earlier than frosting. Repeat course of with remaining refrigerated dough.
Within the bowl of an electrical mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, and peppermint extract till mild and fluffy.
With the mixer on low pace, step by step add the confectioners’ sugar and the salt.
Frosting can be dry however must be easy and creamy. Add the cream, one tablespoon at a time, incorporating every fully.
After all of the cream has been blended in, beat on medium-high pace for about two minutes, until mild and fluffy.
Add meals coloring, if desired, and totally mix. Frost cookies and permit frosting to set earlier than storing in an hermetic container.
Serving: 1cookie | Energy: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 4g | Fats: 12g | Saturated Fats: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 3g | Trans Fats: 0.4g | Ldl cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 154mg | Potassium: 57mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 372IU | Vitamin C: 0.02mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg
This publish was initially printed December 6, 2013. It has been up to date in format and with footage on November 15, 2023.