Filled with taste and ideal for making forward, this selfmade candy potato casserole will steal the present at your subsequent vacation meal. Crunchy candy brown sugar pecan crumble covers each chew of this buttery candy potato mash. After your first forkful, you’ll already be enthusiastic about going for seconds!
Facet dishes are, definitely, the very best a part of a basic Thanksgiving meal. Don’t get me flawed—I really like my Thanksgiving pies. However we’re speaking creamy from-scratch inexperienced bean casserole, flaky delicate dinner rolls, and flavorful cornbread stuffing.
In the present day’s recipe for selfmade candy potato casserole is a household favourite. Get pleasure from a clean and creamy candy potato mash topped with a crunchy, toasty, praline-esque pecan topping. As a result of it’s slightly candy, I wish to serve this casserole with a sprinkle of sea salt and a few savory recent thyme or rosemary. A beautiful stability of texture and taste!
Why You’ll Love This Candy Potato Casserole Recipe
- Creamy + crunchy = great contrasting textures in each chew
- Buttery candy potato mash with a touch of vanilla
- Cinnamon-spiced brown sugar pecan topping
- Candy + salty—a decadent option to get your vitamin A!
- You’ll be able to conveniently prep it a pair days upfront
One reader commented: “Very simple to make and was an enormous hit at Thanksgiving! Ready the potatoes and topping the evening earlier than so was a fast dish to place collectively and bake on the day. The pecan topping and candy potatoes collectively had been divine! ★★★★★“
10 Components in This Thanksgiving Facet Dish
- Candy Potatoes: You want 2 kilos (908g) for this casserole, which is 3 additional giant candy potatoes or 5 small/medium candy potatoes. Don’t go overboard on the potatoes as a result of the mash will find yourself tasting heavy and dense.
- Butter: For unparalleled buttery taste.
- Brown Sugar: I choose darkish brown sugar on this casserole, however mild works too. You’ll use some in each the candy potato mash and the pecan crumble topping.
- Eggs: For construction—they flip this right into a casserole, fairly than a pile of mashed candy potatoes.
- Half-and-half: Half-and-half retains this dish additional creamy. When you’ve got heavy cream readily available on your different cooking and baking wants (like whipped cream & pumpkin pie), you should use that as a substitute.
- Vanilla extract: For only a trace of delicate, fragrant taste.
- Salt: Brings out all of the flavors, and balances the sweetness.
- Flour: Offers construction to the crumbly topping.
- Cinnamon: Enhances each the candy potato and pecan flavors.
- Pecans: Buttery, nutty pecans are the jewels within the candy potato casserole crown!
Plus, ending touches like thyme or rosemary and a sprinkle of sea salt spherical out the whole dish. One reader commented: “The recent rosemary and sea salt made it…*chef’s kiss*. ★★★★★“
Boil & Mash the Candy Potatoes
Begin by peeling the candy potatoes with a vegetable peeler. Boil them in a big pot of water till they’re good and tender. Allow them to cool for about quarter-hour, after which mash. You should use a potato masher and a few arm muscle for this, however I normally simply use my mixer. As soon as they’re as clean as you’d like (be happy to depart some chunks in the event you choose them that manner!), beat within the eggs, brown sugar, heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. These are all of the components you want for the candy potato layer.
FAQ: Can I Use Yams As a substitute of Candy Potatoes in This Casserole?
For the very best style and texture, I like to recommend utilizing candy potatoes as a substitute of yams.
The names of those two starchy root greens are sometimes used interchangeably, however they’re really completely different, and originate from completely different continents. Native to Central and South America, candy potatoes sometimes have orange flesh and a pinkish-brown pores and skin, and are sweeter and creamier in texture when cooked. Native to Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean, true yams have white flesh and a bark-like pores and skin, with a drier, starchier texture—extra like an everyday baking potato.
You would, nonetheless, use purple candy potatoes if you will discover them!
Straightforward Crunchy Pecan Topping
We’re ending this candy potato casserole with a scrumptious crumbly, praline-esque pecan topping. The crunchy texture contrasts so superbly with the creamy, buttery candy potato mash. It comes collectively shortly and simply, and makes use of among the similar components because the candy potato layer.
Can I Use Marshmallows on This Candy Potato Casserole?
Sure. In the event you love marshmallows in your candy potato casserole, you’ll be able to actually add them. I wouldn’t depart off the pecan topping, although. (You’ll actually miss that texture!) Add the marshmallows in direction of the top of the bake time. See recipe Be aware beneath for particulars.
The best way to Make Candy Potato Casserole Forward of Time
This simple facet dish will be ready forward of time, which everyone knows is a complete lifesaver main as much as Thanksgiving dinner! Right here’s methods to get began:
- 1–2 days earlier than serving: Boil and mash the candy potatoes, add the remaining components to the candy potatoes, and clean right into a baking dish. Put together the topping in a separate bowl. Cowl every individually and refrigerate for as much as 2 days.
- Day of serving: Spoon the topping over the candy potato layer and bake.
- Freezing directions: If assembled, the unbaked casserole will be frozen as much as 2 months. Take it out of the freezer and thaw in a single day within the fridge. Deliver the casserole to room temperature and bake.
Extra Thanksgiving Facet Dish Recipes
And naturally… dessert. Listed below are our favourite Thanksgiving pie recipes, together with classics like pumpkin pie, apple pie, and pecan pie. Don’t overlook turkey pot pie for any leftover Thanksgiving turkey!