You’ll love this scrumptious, silky Greek Avgolemono soup crammed with hen, rice and dill with a lemon-egg sauce. Delish!
Avgolemono Hen and Rice Soup
Avgolemono is a standard Greek soup made with hen broth, rice, and eggs. The eggs are overwhelmed and blended with lemon juice to create a thick, creamy texture. The soup is understood for its brilliant, tangy taste and comforting heat. This recipe is constituted of scratch, with all of the coziness of a hen noodle soup, however the lemon juice provides a pop of sunshine. Extra comforting hen soup recipes it is best to attempt are Hen and Cavatelli Soup, Hen Barley Soup, and Hen Shiitake and Wild Rice Soup.
What nation is avgolemono from?
Avgolemono means “egg-lemon” in Greek, however the soup can be present in “Arab, Sephardic Jewish, Turkish, Balkan and Jewish-Italian delicacies.”
Is avgolemono soup wholesome?
This Greek hen, lemon and rice soup is nutritious and comforting. It’s creamy with out the cream, so it’s comparatively low in energy, and the protein content material is excessive due to the hen and eggs.
Avgolemono Soup Substances
- Dill: Contemporary dill is crucial, so don’t substitute it with dried. To prep the dill, pull all of the fronds from the stem and reserve a half cup of them for garnish.
- Broth: Use two quarts of low-sodium hen broth.
- Hen Thighs: You’ll want 1 ½ kilos of boneless, skinless thighs.
- Rice: I like this soup greatest with white rice, however brown rice would work too.
- Egg Lemon Combination: You’ll whisk some sizzling broth into the eggs to mood earlier than including them to the pot to maintain them from scrambling. Then add fresh-squeezed lemon juice from about two lemons.
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Further-Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling earlier than serving
The way to Make Avgolemono Soup
- Cook dinner the Hen: Put the dill stems, hen, rice, and hen inventory or broth in a big pot or dutch oven and convey it to a boil over excessive warmth. Decrease the warmth to medium-low, stir, and cook dinner coated for about 25 minutes till the hen is tender.
- Shred the Hen: Use a slotted spoon to take away the hen and stems from the broth. Discard the stems and shred the meat with two forks.
- Make the Egg Sauce: Enhance the warmth to medium-high and convey the inventory to an energetic simmer. Whisk the eggs till frothy in a medium bowl, after which stir within the lemon juice. Whilst you’re nonetheless whisking the eggs, progressively drizzle in a couple of cup or ladle of the new broth and blend till totally mixed.
- End the Soup: Pour the lemon-egg combination into the pot with the broth and instantly take away it from the warmth in order that the eggs don’t begin to cook dinner. Stir within the shredded hen, style, and add extra lemon juice as wanted. Garnish with dill, pepper, and olive oil.
Variations and Suggestions:
- You should use hen breast or turkey breast instead of hen thighs
- If you want, you may make this with orzo or small pasta instead of rice. Add it on the finish earlier than including the avgolemono sauce and cook dinner in line with package deal instructions. As soon as cooked, proceed with including the lemon-egg combination.
- If you want, you may add extra greens comparable to diced carrots, onions and celery in step 2.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic container as much as 4 days. You too can freeze this soup as much as 3 months in freezer-safe containers.
The way to Freeze Avgolemono Soup
Leftovers will final within the fridge for as much as 4 days, or since this straightforward Greek lemon soup doesn’t have any dairy, it may be frozen. Retailer the soup in glass containers, leaving a bit house on the high, and freeze it for as much as three months. To thaw it, place it within the fridge the day earlier than and microwave it till heat.
Extra Hen Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
Your feedback are useful! In the event you’ve tried this wholesome Avgolemono Hen and Rice Soup recipe or another on Skinnytaste, don’t neglect to fee the recipe and go away me a remark beneath. And when you took a photograph of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can reshare it on my Tales!
Avgolemono Hen and Rice Soup
You will love this scrumptious, silky Greek Avgolemono soup crammed with hen, rice and dill with a lemon-egg sauce. Delish!
- ½ ounce container recent dill
- 2 quarts low-sodium hen broth
- 1 ½ kilos boneless skinless hen thighs
- 3/4 cup raw white rice
- 2 massive eggs
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus extra as wanted
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- floor black pepper, to style
- drizzle extra-virgin olive oil for serving
Pull the dill fronds from the stems; reserve 1/2 cup of the fronds for garnish.
In a pot, mix the stems, hen thighs and rice with the hen broth and convey to a boil over excessive warmth.
Decrease the warmth to medium-low and stir. Cowl and cook dinner the hen till tender, 25 minutes.
Use a slotted spoon to take away the hen and stems from the broth. Discard the stems and switch the hen to a plate then shred with 2 forks.
In the meantime, improve the warmth to medium-high and convey the inventory as much as an energetic simmer.
In a big heatproof bowl, vigorously whisk the eggs till frothy. Add ¼ cup lemon juice and blend to include.
Whilst you whisk the eggs, progressively drizzle in 1 ladleful (about 1 cup) of the broth (it’s OK if some grains of rice tag alongside) and blend till absolutely mixed.
Pour the lemon-egg combination into the pot with the broth, instantly take away from the warmth, and stir within the shredded hen. Style and add extra lemon juice to style.
Garnish with a beneficiant quantity of recent dill, black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
In the event you want to use hen breast, that might be high quality too.
Serving: 11/2 cups, Energy: 265kcal, Carbohydrates: 21.5g, Protein: 27.5g, Fats: 6.5g, Saturated Fats: 2g, Ldl cholesterol: 168.5mg, Sodium: 413mg, Fiber: 0.5g, Sugar: 2g
Key phrases: Avgolemono, hen and rice soup, Hen Soup, greek soup